Now, that I have had my Canadian vote counted re the US election, I would
like to expand on it a bit.  I think we have to try anything and
everything to continue to bring pd out in the public eye.  I don't know
if this effort will result in good things for the pd community, but I DO
know that if we sit back and be complacent about our situation, no one is
going to fix it for us.  The 'what's in it for them' question has many
answers, I'm sure.  One of the answers is 'votes'; another 'publicity'
which again = 'votes'.

This cyber-medium of communicating and sharing is just beginning to flex
its muscles.  We don't know its power yet.  But if we don't use it, we'll
never know.

So, instead of endlessly discussing just precisely what this list is for,
let us USE it in any way we can to get pd right in the face of
candidates, elected officials, the guy next door, the local newspaper ...
anyone who can influence and increase research dollars.  If each of us
does something, or influences another to do something, there will be at
least 1800 occasions where at least one other person learned what living
with pd is like.

We may not have as big an audience as Michael J. Fox or Janet Reno or
Muhammed Ali but we can't expect them to do it all.  We have to capitalize
on their publicity.  When MJF appears on tv talking about pd, let the
show/network/sponsors know how much you appreciate it.  When Janet Reno is
interviewed and questions are asked about how pd affects her life, rather
than try to decide how she 'should' have replied, write a letter to the
network/newspaper letting them know how pd affects YOUR life and the
lives of other pwp's.  When Muhammed Ali appeared on 'Touched by an
Angel' and when he lit the Olympic Flame, he showed many people all over
the world what pd looks like (and his own personal courage).

I hope each one of us is praying for MJ Fox, Joan & Jim & Ivan that the
most powerful, effective words will come to them to use on Monday.

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing