On Sun 26 Sep, Jim Finn wrote:
> To refer to Bryan's question as to the number of cells implanted: I'm not
> really sure.  I've heard there were 4 million.  And I've heard there were 12
> million.  I can check and let you know.
>
> Importantly, my surgery was part of a medical safety test.  The good results
> are considered to be a "bonus."  See my diary for more details.
>
> Bryan, make sure to keep us posted!  One thing is not clear.  Are you to
> receive pig cells or human cells?
>
> Cheers -
>
> Jim

Hello Jim - the use of fetal cells, or any other organ such as heart, kidney,
etc from pigs is still the subject of debate by the committee responsible
for such things. (The point at issue is not the probability of a successful
transplant, but rather the concern about the chances of inportation of a
virus which may be deadly to people. I don't see how such a debate can be
resolved by theoretical speculation - in the end, you have to bite the
bullet and DO it, as you so bravely did.

My operation will use human cells. Re the cell numbers, I did not want to
lead you, but I have been told that the nominal number of cells at the start
of a normal life is about one million. The transplanted cell numbers depends
on what the estimated cell survival rate is expected to be. I don't know
that number at this stage.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>