On 25 Sep 99 at 23:26, Barb_MSN wrote:

> With all due respect, I hate to throw a cog in your
> virtual wheel, but email from a politician posted on
> the List will have a very limited exposure.  Limited, that
> is, when one considers the millions and millions of
> people who access the Internet each day.

Go ahead Barb, throw a cog in the virtual wheel... I double dare ya!
And I'm gonna plunge a hockey stick troo da spokes.....

> Email isn't like a live chat.  It can't have the impact that
> live chat has as it's naturally limited by the number of List
> members who are registered to the List.   In this case,
> 1800 or there abouts individuals - and not all of these
> people are US voters

No, the List majority may be from the US but lots are not....

> Anything that's posted as a statement by a specific
> political figure can easily have originated from one of
> their aids and credited to the Big Cheese themself.
> None of us would even know the difference as to who
> actually authored such a message.

As I recall da prez was in favor of the Udall Bill but it didn't cut
any icewhen it came to appropriations....

> Heck... a  year ago, it we might have received a post
> allegedly written to our List members by the President,
> when in reality, he might have fobbed it off on one of
> his aids - errrrr such as Monica Lewinsky! (wee smirk)

Do ya have Monica's 1-900 number??

> Why not invite a bunch of politicians - either together or
> individually - to join List members in a live CHAT?  THAT
> way, with advance  publicity, our speaker-to-be will
> HAVE to be the speaker we invite! (tho I guess we'd
> have to take their word for it).

I doubt they would be interested in live CHAT.... not enough
opportunity for controlled spin.....

Sooooo, Barb M. I agree with you basically, but I don't think it'll
work.

Bill, count me as a no, if you count non US list members.

All the best ............. murray