List members:
I did not add my comments to this discussion sooner
because I wanted my initial emotions to subside before
writing and editing my response.  I do not wish to cause
new members of the list to be discouraged but I believe
that there are appropriate times for a dose of reality
when it comes to PD.  The most recent I recall on the
list was the
discussion of whether the explanation of the 5 Stages of
PD should have been posted.

The members of this list have a very wide range of PD
symptoms and some have been fortunate to have lived with
PD for a very long time without becoming completely
debilitated.  If you check out the NINDS website and
read the extensive list of neurological disorders, most
of which we know of no cause let alone a treatment or
cure, you should realize how extensive neuro disorders
are in this world.

The discussion on what is acceptable research causes me
to question the concern some persons profess for the
sanctity of human life.

My maternal grandfather died of ALS, a disorder with no
cure that eventually disables all bodily functions and
results in death.

My father was diagnosed with PD a few months before his
65th birthday and died of complications resulting from
PD.  After
13 years of suffering he died in the hospital weighing
about
78 pounds (n=145).

My brother was diagnosed with PD when he was 44.  By the
time he was 49 his most effective means of mobility was
crawling around on his hands and knees.  He needed a
telephone that had headphones and a mike.  He could not
control a computer mouse with both hands and had great
difficulty feeding himself.  The next logical step was
long term nursing care.  He had biSTN a year and a half
ago ---- a very effective treatment for PD but it
IS NOT A CURE!

People with the very advanced stages of PD still have a
brain that can function normally intellectually but is
trapped in a non-functional prison -- their own body.
Is a living, breathing, thinking, feeling, intelligent
human being trapped in a heap of dysfunctional cells of
less value than the few cells of an
embryo that may become a viable being (God willing)?  A
person with the advanced stages of PD is just
as helpless as that embryo and must depend on other
human beings for their very existance in this world.

Are we humans so omnipotent that we can determine what
God's purpose is for each embryo that is created?  Are
we so all-knowing that we can determine what our creator
has determined our destiny to be --- how we will serve
humankind?  Have we considered that perhaps God's
purpose for certain individuals is to serve mankind by
being the building blocks of medical breakthroughs to
benefit others?

We need to use every resource available to make life
better for all mankind.  The research that is "targeted"
for Parkinson's Disease may benefit many other people on
this earth.  Maybe that research will find a treatment
or cure for Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT), a heritable
genetic
disorder a close friend of ours has recently been
diagnosed with.  Maybe it will result in solutions to
other neurological disorders or non-neuro diseases.

If you can look at a totally helpless person that has
very advanced PD or any
other disease and determine that every resource
available should not be used to find relief for that
malady so others after them need not suffer --- you must
evaluate
your true concerns for human life.

Sincerely,
Paul Fahr