My husband John(51/5) and I traveled 500 miles from our home in
Rochester to attend our 2nd Unity Walk. Central Park was crowded with
people enjoying the beautiful day. Our group was gathered in the area of
the bandstand; people from infants to elderly all united in a common
cause. Everywhere in the area people were meeting family and friends,
making signs to carry, and enjoying the music and refreshments. Then
came the speeches all of which were excellent. Joan Samuelson(the force
behind bring Parkinson's into the attention of political agenda) gave an
outstanding speech about the political movement to obtain the much
needed research funds. She said that each of us there had to be part of
the army that was fighting to obtain those funds. Then she had the
pleasure of introducing the newest member of the army, Mr. Michael J.
Fox!! We were totally surprized to see him and are amazed that only one
other posting about the walk mentioned his appearance. Had it been
announced in advance? Michael did not have a prepared speech. He spoke
from the heart about his resolve to fight for research funding in order
to find a cure in our lifetimes. His speech was followed by the walk
itself, a moving experience that included people with canes and
wheelchairs. Our first walk two years ago was memorable, but this year's
event had a much greater impact on us. THANK YOU Margot Zobel, Ken
Aidekman, and the rest of the Unity Walk organization for making it a
successful and memorable event. Also, THANK YOU Michael J. Fox for
attending the walk and becoming an active participant in the fight for
research funding.
Donna and John Testa