It's in the research category in the USA, not in various European countries.
I have been involved in STN surgery since 1997.  It's unfortunate that so
many PD Americans have to wait such a long time or subject themselves to
pallidotomy, with usually only short-lasting response and more side effects.

By the way, I'll will fly to Chicago tomorrow to, among other things, attend
a grand rounds at Rush at 4.00 p.m., where Dr. Warren Olanow a neurologist
from Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York will talk about the treatment of PD in
the early stages.  I will also exchange some info with him regarding STN
stimulation, since he has been involved in a few surgeries in NY on a
research basis (It's not routine there either).

Regards,
Chris van der Linden