List Members,

Remember that politics is merely the art and craft of deciding policy.   I
don't think P.I.E.N. should endorse specific candidates, but we could have a
few litmus test questions for all candidates, for  example:
1)    What are the public policy implications of neurodegenerative diseases
becoming the second-largest killer, surpassing cancer, by the year 2040?

2)    How would you allocate funding amongst the neurodegenerative diseases?

3)    What are your views on the use of human foetal cells and porcine cells
in research and clinical trials, and ulitimately in regular surgical
therapy?

Q2 is a real minefield.  For example, should you fnd research to cure MS or
PD?

MS usually strikes in the second and third decades.  Finding the causes and
developing cures would mean that those who othrwise have MS - likely about
three quarters of a million people would have:
i)    career earnings on which they would pay income tax
ii)    lifetime contribtions to social programs
iii)    a normal family life, with children, &c

PD, on the other hand, usually strikes in the sixth or seventh decades when
the estimated milion and a quarter victims are:
i)    past peak earning power, hence not a growing source of tax revenue
ii)    are consmers rather than contributors to social programs

Carefully framed questions will elicit responses which will enable list
members to mae an informed decision