William Harshaw wrote:

> List Members,
>
> Remember that politics is merely the art and craft of deciding policy.   I
> don't think P.I.E.N. should endorse specific candidates, but we could have a
> few litmus test questions for all candidates, for  example:
> 1)    What are the public policy implications of neurodegenerative diseases
> becoming the second-largest killer, surpassing cancer, by the year 2040?
>
> 2)    How would you allocate funding amongst the neurodegenerative diseases?
>
> 3)    What are your views on the use of human foetal cells and porcine cells
> in research and clinical trials, and ulitimately in regular surgical
> therapy?
>
> Q2 is a real minefield.  For example, should you fnd research to cure MS or
> PD?
>
> MS usually strikes in the second and third decades.  Finding the causes and
> developing cures would mean that those who othrwise have MS - likely about
> three quarters of a million people would have:
> i)    career earnings on which they would pay income tax
> ii)    lifetime contribtions to social programs
> iii)    a normal family life, with children, &c

> PD, on the other hand, usually strikes in the sixth or seventh decades when
> the estimated milion and a quarter victims are:
> i)    past peak earning power, hence not a growing source of tax revenue
> ii)    are consmers rather than contributors to social programs

This is precisely the sort of attitude that angers me so much. I have nothing
against People with MS getting their fair share of govt funding etc. BUT, here
from within our own ranks from on of the most informed,   active, influential
fellow pwps, we get this antediluvian definition of PWPs as being OLD and
PAST IT.
I was 24 when i started showing definable symptoms of PD. Today, I was finally
told i will be getting my first SSI check next week.  And that i am now
eligible for medicaid. SInce my husband died nearly 5 years ago i have not had
any medical coverage, lived on bereavement benefits which were stopped several
months ago, had my children placed in foster care as i was deemed unfit to
care for them because of the PD, am currently being subjected to home invasion
by social workers trying to trip me up in my parenting   role.......
I should love to be paying income tax, and making contributions to lifetime
social plans - and most of all, i would love to be having a normal family life.

  AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE

There are YOPD groups springing up all over the USA,  and more tragic stories
of the devastating effect this disease has on the lives of its younger
victims. And we need to be recognized, and we need to have our problems dealt
with, just as much as we need that cure. Because, until that cure comes, we
somehow have to survive.

If I exist, there must be others out there just like me.

Hilary Blue (50 / 24 / 33 )