To: THE LIST

 My recent post on politics and the list revealed to me, a fairly new list
member - since last March - how easy it is to offend without intention - I
never offend with intention - by not choosing my words with the utmost care.
Hilary Blue quite correctly pointed out that the number of young onset
Parkinsonians is on the rise, whether through higher incidence, earlier
diagnosis or a combination of both isn't known yet.  She then briefly told
of her situation, which I was not aware of, and I was shocked.  This is
precisely why I am so keen to get government-sponsored drug plans for those
that don't have insured benefits.  (Its also probably easier in Canada where
we have government run health plans from coast-to-coast, but that's a whole
other topic)

 Hilary took offence at my brief comparison of the financial demographics of
PD and MS, pointing out that there are young onset PWPs who suffer
tragically; just as the are late onset PWMS (my wife was diagnosed when she
was 52, cutting short her career as a public school trustee), so my over
simplified examples would have to be modified.

 My whole point in mentioning the financial demographics, and I should have
made this explicit, was that if a candidate mentions them, you should be
prepared to rebut them using calm but definite language, avoiding
emotionally charged language.