Hawkins, Darwin wrote:

> Well said Mr. Hirsch. I was about to reply myself in the same vein, you
> saved me a lot of typing and mine would not have been as good. Suffice it to
> say, I personally believe that anyone, regardless of the issue involved
> (with maybe one or two exceptions), who votes for a candidate based solely on
> a single issue is doing him or her self and the country a disservice.

I fully agree with the above statement.  There are a great many components in
evaluating a candidate for any office.  Support for the conquest of any disease
or type of disease does certainly not by itself provide sufficient merit to any
candidate.
In my mind a good candidate should have a record of honesty and integrity and
should champion my values in the performance of his duties.  My values are very
personal and does include a strong interest in preserving good health and clean
environment in and out of the home.
Being good to your mother and loving apple pie does not cut it here.
Michel