In a message dated 9/21/99 5:03:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< as anyone here with parkinson's experienced sciatica? >>

Hi Jo:  Yes, I've had sciatica and was treated successfully by epidural
injections of a steroid.  Three procedures.  This occurred in April/May/June
of this year.  If my buttocks or upper thigh begin to rear up like the start
of another seige, I take special care not to aggravate, but instead walk
more, massage the muscles, take a lot of rest, and hope for the best.
I regularly take Vit. E, Calcium, Magnesium;  it is my feeling that this
combination helps prevent muscle cramping which I experienced in the
past, as well as the dreaded sciatica.  In addition, I take glucosamine with
chondroitin, and tylenol EX for discomfort on a daily basis.  So far, thanks
be to God, my regimen has kept me comfortable.  Not to say it will always
be so, but for now I am grateful.  I do hope you are able to avoid back
surgery
for your mother. Back surgery does not always solve problems, and in fact
may create more problems.  Get another opinion or two.

Clare Wilson