 Bill,

There is a fine line between stereotypic movement disorder and OCD.  While
stereotypy does not have the compulsive component to it,  OCD does.  Stereotypy
is often associated with developmentally disabled  individuals and contains such
behaviors as hand  waving, rocking, fiddling with fingers etc. but are
characteristically less complex and are not cognitively "designed" to counter a
specific obsession.  Rather they are more like hair-pulling (which most people
would say they don't know why they do it;  they just do than handwashing where
people come up with elaborate stories of why they are washing repeatedly.

The problem with the article is that the authors talk about a Movement Disorder
when they mean a drug induced psychiatric disorder. I have not heard of the term
"punding" and cannot find it in the DSM-IV.

When I started writing this I was thinking that they were talking about
stereotypy but on closer reading
they really are talking about OCD symptoms as you say.  OCD has been thought to
be mediated by seratonin not l-DOPA therefore either that is not true, or the PD
meds have an effect on the seratonergic system.  There also may be more than 1
mechanism for OCD or punding is different from OCD in a way I don't understand.

Interesting point though Bill-  which I hadn't thought about the first time I
read the article- which may have an implication for the treatment of OCD.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin