Patty Maeglin wrote:

> Maryse,
> In reference to Jim's post and question "why don't Parkinsonians just take
> GABA that you can buy over the counter for sleep" ?  Two types of GABA A &B,
> good idea to ask Doc how to incorporated it along with ones anti-park meds.
>
> GABA, an amino acid, inhibits cells from overfiring, and 750 milligrams of it
> can be taken to calm the body down much in the same way as valium, Librium,
> and other tranquilizers without the fear of addiction.  GABA is being
> recommended by wholistic health professionals in place of many drugs.  With
> niacinamide and inosital, it prevents anxiety and stress-related messages  from
> reaching the motor centers of the brain by filling it's receptor site.
> it functions as a neuron transmitter inn the central nervous system by
> decreasing neuron activity.   -
> James F. Balch and Phyllis A. Balch
> "Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing"
> (Garden City  Park New York:Avery Publishing group, Inc.1990

I do not know what GABA means, but it sounds like monkey talk in an old song.
At any rate, niacinamide is a vitamin and inositol is a carbohydrate, and as
dietary supplements, are NOT controlled by the FDA.  That means that there is no
adequate quality control on any of those packages bought, and anything goes.  In
one of the supplements made in Japan, a small amount of an impurity was found
that caused the death of several people.
If a substance is found to alleviate or cure any disease, it must be approved by
the FDA.  No claim made by any merchant or herbalist or manufacturer can take the
place of a scientifically documented approval of a drug or palliative.  I know we
all are eager for a cure or even relief for many ailments that afflict us, but do
not be taken in by any promises even if well intended.
I believe that there are probably more scam artists out there than patients
willing to subsidize them.
Good luck.
Michel Margosis