Hilary and Michel,

Of course you are right; and this is said by one who has had both a
pallidotomy and DBS.  They are based on what Lewis Thomas calls 'halfway
technologies', i.e. they provide superior symptom management without
effecting a cure.  We know that pallidotomy and DBS  work, but we don't know
how or why?  If that is the case, why did I have surgery not once, but
twice?

Because if I did not, the alternative was incarceration in a chronic care
institution within six months - I was in the 90th percentile of PD patients
pre-surgery.  I would likely be dead by now.  I took a chance, a smart risk,
that surgery would work, and it did!  I have seen cases where it hasn't, and
they are tragedies.

On the matter of affordability, we do not have the spectre of 'cash register
medicine' in Canada; rather the dubious privilege of having 'Big Brother',
in the form  of government run health plans,   watching over us.  Make no
mistake, I am opposed to access by cheque.

i think your faith in a universal cure is a bit misplaced.  PD will likely
be found to be a cluster of similar conditions with each one having unique
characteristics. And it will be the  uniqueness that stymies the
researchers.

Basic research remains the only answer; that is why I've raised over $40,000
in the Toronto SuperWalk for Parkinson's over the  last six years

Bill