Hi Group -

We've reached a bit of a landmark.  Last week I spent 2 days in Boston for
the 36 month post-op evaluation.  The first part of the tests consisted of a
neurological / psychological examination.  Its purpose is to determine
whether or not the implant procedure had any effect (either positive OR
negative) on cognitive abilities.

Part 2 was composed of all those demanding movement checks; foot-tapping,
hand dexterity, walking, balance, speech, tremor, etc.  These were all
checked after I was without any medication for over 15 hours and were done
twice.

The third battery was a repeat of part 2 but this time they were performed
once I was in the "on" state and, again, were done 2 times.

Part 4 included a general physical exam with blood work and an EKG.

Finally (and by this time I was shot-to-Hell) there was a 1 hour meeting with
the attending neurologist.

I will not have the results of all this for several weeks.  My own feeling is
that the days of huge gains are behind us.  BUT I think improvements are
still happening albeit at a slower rate.

There is, however, some significant news.  The physician mentioned the fact
that out of the group about 1/3 showed considerable improvement, 1/3
displayed some gains, and the remainder stayed about the same.  No one showed
any statistically important worsening.  As we all know PD is a progessive
disease.  The fact that the progression has apparently been halted in some
patients gives hope to us all.

I feel that I must temper this news with the fact that it is preliminary and
subject to ongoing review and scrutiny.  So, well this is certainly
tantalizing, the battle has just begun.

Phase 1 studies (the ones I'm involved with) are just ending now.  Many
months will be spent analyzing the results.  Officially my part of the
program has ended.  However, the bio-medical company has requested my
continued participation.  I have agreed to it.  I strongly suspect they have
more plans for me.

For those new members who have not read the online diary of this experiment,
go to this URL which is wonderfully maintained by Janet Paterson:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/hithgang/hitjimf.html

As always I am prepared to answer any questions you might have.

Warmest regards -

Jim Finn