From: Kelly Abbett <[log in to unmask]>  [ Save address ]
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Senate Hearing - Request from PAN
 Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:40:05 -0700
            To those of you who are unable to attend the hearing
             BUT have Senators on the Labor-HHS Subcommittee and
             would like to participate somehow:

             Please call the office of your Senator on the
             Labor-HHS Subcommittee (see list below) today or
             Monday and ask the health staffer to urge the Senator
             to make time in his/her busy schedule to attend the
             hearing.  You can contact PAN at 800-850-4726 or
             [log in to unmask] to inform them of your
             efforts.  Thank you!

             Capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121

             Senate Labor-HHS Appropriations Subcommittee:
             -Sen Specter (R-PA), Chair
             -Sen Cochran (R-MS)
             -Sen Gorton (R-WA)
             -Sen Gregg (R-NH)
             -Sen Craig (R-ID)
             -Sen Hutchison (R-TX)
             -Sen Stevens (R-AK)
             -Sen Kyl (R-AZ)

             -Sen Harkin (D-IA), Ranking Member
             -Sen Hollings (D-SC)
             -Sen Inouye (D-HI)
             -Sen Reid (D-NV)
             -Sen Kohl (D-WI)
             -Sen Murray (D-WA)
             -Sen Feinstein (D-CA)

Hi,
Please call now; the time is critical; the hearing is this TUESDAY
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D)
Phone:202-224-3841

(This is a great site for info on Congress and where I get info on Gov.---See further info
from this site after script below;
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/commpage.cgi?committee=sapprop_labor)

                                  Guideline Telephone Script for FY 2000
          Appropriations (from PAN)

                                  Hello.  I am a constituent and a Parkinson's
          disease advocate.  May I
                                  please speak with the staff person who handles
          health care issues?
                                  [Yes, voice mail is fine if the person is not
          available].

          (Revised para. 2)

                                  My name is ____________ and I am calling to urge

                                  Senator Feinstein to please attend Tuesdays
          appropriations subcommittee hearing and to support much needed funding
                                  increases for Parkinson's disease during
          consideration of the fiscal
                                  year 2000 Labor/ HHS Appropriations bill.

                                  As you probably know, in 1997 Congress
          overwhelmingly adopted the
                                  Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research
          Act, historic legislation
                                  authorizing the National Institutes of Health to
          devote up to $100
                                  million per year for Parkinson's-focused
          research.  To date NIH has not
                                  fully funded the Udall Act — despite promising
          research and a
                                  compelling national need.

                                  I urge your boss to act this year to follow
          through on the promise of
                                  the Udall Act by supporting funding increases of
          $50 million for
                                  Parkinson's research at the National Institute
          of Neurological
                                  Disorders and Stroke and $25 million at the
          National Institute of
                                  Environment Health Science for FY 2000.  To
          provide the resources for
                                  these much needed increases, I ask the Senator
                                  support the effort to ensure that the NIH budget
          is on track to double
                                  over five years.

                                  Please urge your boss to act this year on these
          important increases by
                                  writing a letter or talking to the Chair of the
          Appropriations
                                  Committee.  Time is not neutral for people with
          Parkinson's — the
                                  disease is progressive, chronic and absolutely
          relentless — and we
                                  can't afford to wait any longer.  Researchers
          have described
                                  Parkinson's as the "most curable neurological
          disorder" — but finding
                                  the cure in time for those currently suffering
          requires the additional
                                  funding authorized by the Udall Act.

                                  Thank you.  Can I count on hearing back from you
          about the outcome of
                                  the fiscal year 2000 Labor/HHS Appropriations
          bill?  [Give the
                                  staff person your name, address, and phone
          number so that s/he can
                                  follow up with you.]

                                  [If any questions arise that you do not feel
          comfortable answering, ask
                                  the staff person to call the Parkinson's Action
          Network at
                                  800-850-4726.]

the website includes a link to access
             the daily schedule, and for the "next" day--Tues. 28th is "not yet
             scheduled"--but we'll keep checking!  It covers both C-SPAN 1 (House) and
             C-SPAN 2 (Senate).

--
Charlotte Mancuso
For advocacy, medical, and other PD-related material, go to: