Friends, I've been asked by a listmember to share this information from
their bad experience with the antibiotic Cipro.  You should ask your neuro
before using this med, should it be offered for an infection. It  is useful
to have this information, as I did not find Cipro on our lists of
contra-indicated drugs.

"The antiobiotic Cipro apparently has some palliative effect on
Parkinson's symptoms.  There is currently a trial studying this effect
at one university medical center and maybe others.  If you take Cipro in
addition to your regular meds, you may find yourself much more likely to
experience overdosing side effects.  Since Cipro is such a widely
prescribed antibiotic and the PDR doesn't note the interactions, PWP's
need to be careful when using the drug.  We realized something was up
when our PWP become extremely twitchy, jerky, and overdosed during the
first days on Cipro. It became so troublesome that we checked for drug
interactions with the dispensing pharmacist who found nothing.  When I
mentioned the situation to the neurologist, she told me about the
interaction (and complained that we hadn't reported the symptoms--but
that's another topic!)."

Thanks to this concerned person for sharing the caution.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "