Don,
Like you and  Sherilyn and others, I get incredibly frustrated with what
I could do yesterday and what I can do now.  Like Jane,  my daughters
miss what I used to do for them.  Last year I my nineteen year old
relayed a conversation she had with her  boyfriend (or boy de jour as my
husband and I we refer to them at  times ), in an effort to convince me
I wasn't becoming worthless. "Mom," she said. "I told R that I  wish he
had known you before you  sick because you were so cool.  He just
looked  at me and said, 'Your mom is cool now, at least I think so'".
(He stayed around as boyfriend longer than most.).

My point is we are too hard on ourselves when we see the work we do, our
physical contributions to our families. slip out of our grasp.  It is
as  if we are trying to hold  water with our fingertips.  I have a
tendency to define myself by what I can do. It sounds as if you look at
yourself the same way at times.  You must take a lot of pride in how
your home is maintained.. Others do not necessarily see us on the basis
of  what we do, especially those who love  us and  these are the
important people.  I find the trend in the newspaper to insist on
putting occupation in the obituary headings after a person's name
appalling and degrading.  As  if this was the some total of  a man.
(forgive me, I think I'm stealing from the Bard-- Hamlet?)

My current frustration is the  kitchen.  I used to cook and bake to
relax.  Putting together a complicated dinner used to be my idea of
fun.  I loved flying around the kitchen, stirring this pot, whisking
that sauce, putting finishing touches on  the dessert -- my specialty.
My  playground is now a minefield. The last time I made a cake, boxed at
that, I felt like a toddler trying to ice it, icing out  of a can.  My
oldest daughter, age 21,  came in laughed at me saying "I see you have
been having fun!" Icing was everywhere--the  counter, my hands, my hair,
and some actually made it on the cake AS IF A TODDLER HAD DONE IT.  I
was close to tears, but how can you be upset with yourself when  those
around you are amused and tell you how "cute" you are??   Electric
appliances can ease the job, but nothing keeps  me "from checking out
the kitchen floor in close detail" if I lose focus and fall.  It is
becoming a  common occurrence,

Frustrating, you bet it is. It seems as each day goes by I lose
something that was there the day before.  The last time I had a pair of
knitting needles in my hand, I had no clue how to hold the  left one.
Yes,  left is my weaker side. When asked   about hobbies I have I just
laugh.   Hobbies are things I use d to be able to do, but no more.  I
stayed home and raised my children  I was brownie leader, choir leader
etc. Basically a care giver for my family. The caregiver does not go out
of the  house to get the mail without a keeper! Gave up driving over a
year ago. Cannot read my own handwriting.   All this happened in two
years! It is all horribly frustrating

Don, you are not alone.   I have only recently joined this group.
Already  I feel something is missing in my day when I don't sign on.
Thank you Don and everyone else for being here.  No matter how wonderful
my family is,  it is the people on this forum who make me feel that I'm
not  alone.

To all of you, fondly,
Cathy 50/48/46