Ron -

 I agree with the people who recommend Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS),
specifically of the Subthalamic Nucleus (STN).  Pallidotomy is outdated.
It's also permanent, and if a cure should come along in the next several
years, someone who has had a pallidotomy may very well be excluded from using
it, depending on what form the cure takes.  Furthermore, if you do some
research, you'll find that pallidotomy results tend to be less effective over
time.  Furthermore, only one side of the brain can be treated with
pallidotomy.  Bilateral pallidotomy causes some severe side effects, and is
generally not done anymore.

DBS of the STN is reversible, and the electrodes can be removed if something
better comes along.  Early evidence seems to show that DBS results actually
improve over time.  The best results do depend on getting a good stimulator
setting, but of course first there has to be good placement of the
electrodes.  You definitely want to look into a center with experience.
Toronto would be close to you, I believe, and has the most experienced
surgeons in North America.  The most experienced in the US is Dr. Steven
Wilkinson at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.
We can highly recommend him and the results he achieves.

Feel free to write to me at [log in to unmask] if you'd like more info.

Margie Swindler    cg for Dick, 54/17