September 29, 1999

Dudley Moore's New Health Crisis

Comic actor Dudley Moore is suffering from a rare, incurable Parkinson's
disease-related brain disorder that has left him walking with a cane, it
was disclosed today.

The British-born star of 10, who last year was described by his on- and
off-again wife as a man "waiting to die," says doctors at a New
Jersey-based clinic are working to "help slow the progression of my
symptoms."

"I hope that by revealing my illness today, I can bring attention to
this rare malady that afflicts thousands of people, many of whom remain
undiagnosed," Moore said in a statement.

Moore's official diagnosis is: Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP).
It's described as a degenerative brain disorder related to Parkinson's
disease. It strikes just a little more than one in 100,000 people. The
typical victim is a middle-aged male.

Doctors at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, where the
64-year-old actor is being treated, say Moore is in the early stages of
the disease. Still, the funnyman is relying on a cane to help him walk.

Copyright © 1996-1999
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                          ^^^^