Call for Papers

Rhetoric, Uncertainty, and the University as Text:
How Students Construct the Academic Experience

A Collection of Essays on Student Writing in the First Year of
University
to be published by Canadian Plains Research Centre
University of Regina

The ways that students experience university are reflected in the articulated
and non-articulated, overt and covert messages they create in the
course of their university careers.  We propose that in particular
student writing, especially in the first year, is, far from being a
direct reflection of acquired knowledge and skills, a symptom of
students' perception-and misperception-of the learning environment
itself: the university as text.

We wish to explore the possible positive and negative ramifications of
this hypothesis.  We want to ask questions such as: What is the impact
of apparent uncertainty on the nature and value of academic knowledge?
Can the discipline of rhetoric supply a method for articulating
uncertainty as a learning model, and if so how can this be presented?
What is the impact of uncertainty on how we assess student performance?
We invite papers that address these and related issues:

        Student Writing as Genre
        The Politics of the Classroom
        Personal Writing in First-year Courses
        The Polarities of Process and Product
        Student Perspectives on Academic and Public Writing
        The Difference between First- and Fourth-Year Writing
        Evaluating Student Writing

Revised Deadline for Submission:  January 2, 2000

Contact:
Judy Chapman                    Andrew Stubbs
First Year Services             Department of English
University of Regina            University of Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan            Regina, Saskatchewan
S4S 0A2                         S4S 0A2
Canada                          Canada
Phone:  306-585-4760            Phone:  306-585-4316
[log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]
Fax:  306-585-4056              Fax:  306-585-4827