P.S.,
Lest I create yet another refutation, let me assert explicitly that, in my
view, Ginny's recent message demonstrates precisely why there we should
have no difficulty, as we usually have not, talking about particular
situations in ways that are of broad interest to Inkshedders generally.
R.C.

>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:30:25 -0700
>To: CASLL
>From: Richard Coe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: how did this start?
>
>       I'm not sure how the current strand of discussion got started, the one
refuting the proposition that we should exclude various people by focusing
Inkshed to much on matters (e.g., writing centre issues) that concern only
some Inkshedders.  But I am as sure as my memory and sketchy notes allow
that this matter came up and was settled at the CASLL business meeting last
May.  As I remember, the meeting agreed not to define any theme (which, at
Inkshed, is usually fofllowed very loosely anyhow) in such terms, but we
should rather create space within a broader theme for discussions of
various "local issues."   Or, to put it another way, CASLL is, I think, the
Canadian Association for the Study of LANGUAGE and LEARNING (not of
postsecondary writing instruction).