I'd like to address the idea of having writing centres as a major topic
at the Inkshed conference - whatever name is given to the conference
theme. Earlier this week, one of our members, who rightly (I think)
cautioned against a gathering that focused exclusively on post-secondary
concerns, included among the topics that might lead to an overly-narrow
focus that of writing centres. I attempted right away to respond via our
listserv, but I did something wrong, I guess, because my message simply
vanished...
    Here in Newfoundland - as is probably the case elsewhere - one of
our university writing centre's most important mandates is to liaise
with the province's school teachers and with the Department of Education
concerning high school graduates' preparedness for writing (and, because
the two cannot be separated, reading) at the post secondary level.
And this issue lends itself beautifully, of course, to a discussion of
the corresponding expectations and practices of post secondary
instructors. I therefore see writing centres, and writing centre
concerns, as being a potentially useful meeting place for people who
wish to discuss reading and writing pedagogy in either pre- or post
secondary institutions. I would also love to finally attend an Inkshed
conference and to put faces to all these names that greet me on my
computer screen each day.
    So here's a vote for the inclusion of a focus on writing centres at
Inkshed 2000!

Ginny Ryan
Writing Centre Coordinator
Memorial University of Newfoundland