May I add my second to Mr. Etzold's questions about the value of DBS for
stiffness.  I would also be interested in any expert opinions about DBS for
Parkinsonism, Parkinson's Plus and/or MSA.  Perhaps Chris van der Linde can
comment on this.

My father has MSA, most likely striatonigral degeneration.  My laymen's
understanding of this is that the affected areas of the brain are more
diffuse, rather than pinpointed as they are in typical PD.  Dr. Watts at
Emory has said that surgeries will not help him.  However, I never want to
give up exploring all possibilities or new developments.

Comments?

Jane Koenig
Marietta, GA
(daughter of Fred, 81/MSA3)