Chris van der Linden asked:

> It is very contradictory that the FDA has approved DBS for tremor
> using part of the thalamus as a target, whereas going a few mm deeper into
> the brain reaching the STN is not approved. This does't make sense to me.
> Can somebody explain to me why the FDA is inconsistent?

Chris,

Because damage to the subthalamic nucleus can produce a syndrome
called "hemiballismus" which is a terribly disabling condition
associated with wild and uncontrollable movements of one side of the
body.  Hemiballismus is much worse than Parkinson's disease.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"