On  5 Oct 99 at 22:59, Charles T. Meyer, M.D. wrote:

> Murray and Paul,
>
> I can vouch for  Paul.  I met Steve,  Paul's brother and  when I met the 2
> of them I couldn't tell initially who had PD. Given what he was described as
> being like before that is truly amazing.
>
> As for farmers, they put our food on our tables and I am grateful for that.
> And you have to be smart and sophisticated to run a successful farming
> operation.  Paul has helped me have a whole lot of respect for farmers than
> I had in the past.  I guess I too got caught up in the old stereotypes which
> have pervaded our society.  Paul and Steve are sophisticated agribusinessmen
> and gentlemen as well.  ..
>
> And Murray they raise pigs-  doesn't that count here on the list for
> something.
>
> Charlie

Well Charlie and Paul,
Raising pigs does definitely count for something.  When I was 12 my father was
injured and taken out of the work force for an entire season.  I raised pigs
and went to school.  Then one of our neighbours had a heart attack and I
raised more pigs. We cleaned barns, pumped water, fed etc. without
mechanization or electricity in those days.  We did have a team of reliable
Clydesdales, Bud & Slim.  They hauled the water 90 gallons at a time from the
well to the hog pens.  I have little doubt farming is a whole lot more a
sophisticated business these days.  Farming 12 year old style with a coupla
weary Clydes is 'bout as unsophisticated as it comes.....

Still rough 'round the edges...........murray