Chris wrote:

> Bob, you wrote:
>
> > Chris,
> >
> > Because damage to the subthalamic nucleus can produce a syndrome
> > called "hemiballismus" which is a terribly disabling condition
> > associated with wild and uncontrollable movements of one side of the
> > body.  Hemiballismus is much worse than Parkinson's disease.
>
> My answer:
>
> However, hemiballism does NOT occur in patients with Parkinson's disease
> who receive STN stimulation, at least in my patients and patients from
> centers I now about, such as the center in Grenoble, Paris, Vienna and
> Barcelona.
>
> Chris

Chris,

I don't disagree with you.  The key word is *stimulation*.  It is
*injury* to the STN than can produce hemiballismus, and any time
one is putting electrodes into tissue, there is a risk of injury.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"