Two answers:

1.    the occurence of long-lasting side effects related to the surgery,
whereas the mortality is the occurence of death, directly related to the
surgery.

2.    Centers where DBS take place would not like to advertise about
morbidity, especially when it is high, but it should be made known to the
public.  I know it is very low in the centers I worked with, for instance
out of 90 patients, I have been involved in with DBS, there were no deaths,
two hemorhages, which resolved after several weeks, some patients with
transient confusion, one with transient double vision, and three with
worsening of speech.  I beleive there is one death in Belgium and may be one
in France , but I am not fully sure.  The side effects in others centers I
know of is also quite low, but I don't have the details. There is a whole
list of minor side effects, but are not worhth mentioning,because these all
resolved.

regards,

Chris