Mama is scheduled for a DBS STN in October here in Orlando.  It was a
surprise to all of us that her neurosurgeon wanted to use this procedure.

As some of you may recall, Mama had a unilateral pallidotomy last May.
Prior to that month I had read and read literature about the advantages and
disadvantages of the different surgeries.  Because Mama's worst symptom was
very severe rigidity I thought the pallidotomy would offer the best chance
to alleviate that symptom.  (According to the literature at that time DBS
STN did not alleviate rigidity nearly as well as a pallidotomy.  Of course,
DBS GP sounded like the best option of all the surgeries but that is
considered to be much more experimental than DBS STN.)

When my parents met with the neurosurgeon two weeks ago, I did not go along
since I thought it was just a routine check-up for the next pallidotomy.
Now I wish I had gone to discuss his decision to perform the DBS.

I am very happy that Mama has the opportunity to have the non-destructive
technique performed but I hope it is not a disappointment.

Teresa, Daughter of Mama (57/43/38)