Dear Marilyn,

> 3)  Dad's stomach was surgically removed over 20 years ago.
> Apparently this has happened to a lot of people.  As the stomach
> is where the proteins are broken down in to amino acids, I wonder
> if the Sinemet - which is made of amino acids -- is being utilized /
> absorbed / assimilated.

It's a common assumption that digestion takes place in the stomach,
however, very little digestion occurs there. The stomach's function is
mostly to grind food (and Sinemet) into tiny particles. The pulverized
food, including protein, then enters the small intestine. Enzymes in the
small intestine break up the protein into individual amino acids. These
aminos compete with levodopa to cross the intestinal wall and get into
the bloodstream.

Your father's Sinemet will be absorbed in the small intestine; however,
as his stomach has been removed, his physician might consider (if s/he
has not already) the use of liquid Sinemet, as this is already
pulverized and ready to be absorbed.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/