The FDA has not approved DBS STN yet. Apparently it is expected to be
approved early next year. It is my understanding that centers performing the
procedure have IRB's at their respective institutions. At NYU we have
performed 3 bilateral STN procedures on patients who have undergone previous
unilateral pallidotomies. All three patients are doing very well.

A number of insurance carriers are now paying for the procedure. So far,
AetnaUS Healthcare, Oxford, GHI and Blue Shield have paid for our patients to
have simultaneous bilateral STN DBS.

I hope this information is of help.

Anne O'Sullivan
Administrator