From: Leo Fuhr <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The federal budget: how to spend your tax dollars
Date: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 11:16 AM

I would like to express my concern about the US Congress making the choices
this week(Oct. 4-8) to choose how to spend our tax dollars.  When I make my
personal budget, I include essential things like food, shelter, medical &
other insurance, investments and savings.  I consider myself an informed
person with 49 years of life experience so I never hesitate to invest in
areas that promise future returns for me and my family. I also make sure
that I know the due dates of bills and pay on time so my needs/services are
not interrupted.  That  is why it amazes me that Congress, who know that
the appropriations always expire on the last day of September are always
behind and have to pass a resolution(s) to extend the monies that are
needed to run the day-to-day operations of the country.

However, the present delay in passing the FY2000 Labor, Health, Human
Services and Education appropriations has allowed me a window of time to
express my concern that congress, the elected representatives of readers of
the Trenton Republican Times, be reminded that we here in Trenton, MO want
responsible investment in our futures.  One way this brighter future can be
assured for us and our families is for the budget of the National
Institutes of Health(NIH)  to be increased.  Yes, this means spending more
tax dollars, but that investment in preventative health could well reduce
the future medical costs of our continually aging population.  More
research by NIH in areas like neurological diseases such as: Alzheimer's,
Multiple Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's Disease and Parkinson's Disease as well as
research at the National Institute of Environment Health Science concerning
the relationship between disease and our environment could effect the
growing number of Missouri residents who have diseases that may be linked
to the environment. (Possible links to cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's to
name a few are being studied.)

I would like to say that I have called and written my senators and
representatives asking that they invest in my future and the future of my
children by supporting increased federal spending for FY2000 in these
areas.  I consider such an investment a priority for every person in
Missouri and in the country.  Without investing in our health, how can we
meet the other basic necessities of food and shelter for ourselves and our
families?

Sincerely,

Jeanette R. Fuhr
1802 Crestview Terrace