Dear Barb,

I fully agree, Dr. Iacono, whome I know personally, is an excellent
neurosurgeon and I do believe he is performing the best pallidotomies in the
US.  However, now we are 1999 and there is fastly growing evidence that STN
stimulation is preferable to "tomies".  I have stated the reason in previous
postings.  So regardles of previous succesfull pallidotomies, I will not
have my surgeon make lesions in the brains of my patients, because now there
is a wonderful alternative without lesioning, with adjustability (is this
correct English?) and with lower risks.  We also have to realize that there
are only few Iaconos running around in the world. So less experienced
Neurosurgeons who perform STN may at least do less damage, than when they
would have done pallidotomies.

Greetings,

Chris