> Is a degree of
> dementia/cognitive problems an eliminating factor?

Generally, signs of dementia in PArkinson patients, excludes them from a
surgical treatment. However, also slight demented Parkinson patients may
have severe motor problems.  Thusfar, as far as I am aware of, there is no
data on the results of DBS in demented PD patients.  My feeling is that they
will respond just as well as the non-demented patients with regard to motor
disturbances.  We have to be careful however to start including demented
patients; before we know we are not treating the patients, but the family,
who insist on an operation.

Greetings,

Chris