Hello everyone.
I thought I would write and introduce myself (after all, I would not want to
be classified as a "lurker")
my name is Paul, I am forty-seven years old and have recently been diagnosed
with Parkinson's disease.  In retrospect, I have had symptoms of the disease
for at least a decade.  Unfortunately, for most of that time I was treated
for fibromyalgia, obviously unsuccessfully.  After living for years on
ungodly doses of pain medication that barely relieved the pain, I received
the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.  In defense of the physicians who
treated me, I believe that I suppressed the one symptom into that would have
made the diagnosis easy, my tremors.  This was probably a function of my
profession, dentistry.  Without realizing it I would tense up to prevent my
hands from shaking.

I have obviously had to give up practicing dentistry.  Fortunately, my
response to medication has been relatively good.  I am presently taking 200
mg of Amantadine and have found that the muscular rigidity is vastly
improved.  Also, not being on enough narcotic medication to sedate a small
village has improved my balance.

I have found this forum and wonderful source of information and support.  I
hope that I can contribute in some manner to repay my debt of gratitude.
Should anyone wish to email me directly, I can be reached at

Once again, thank you all for the information and support you provide.