Charles T. Meyer, M.D. wrote:

> Carline,
>
> I agree that the issue is to do research to find out what  actually works.
> The problem is that  nutrients have not been researched scientifically while
> drugs and STN stimulation etc have. In addition so called "natural
> substances" are not controlled for safety.  So one should look even more
> askance  at them than pharmaceuticals which also have their risks.
>
> Remember tobacco, alcohol and opium and marihuana are "natural substances"
> not  "strictly speaking drugs".   Lithium Carbonate is a mineral but also "a
> drug".  It can be quite beneficial to people but also quite toxic depending
> on the dose.
>
> As imperfect as the FDA is I would rather put my faith in their testing for
> safety and efficacy  rather than  the claims of a few people who have
> something emotionally or financially to gain from its promotion.

If I may be allowed  to add a little clarification on the statements above.

1) 'Natural Substances' have not been scientifically proven that they are safe
and efficacious, in the manner the Code of Federal Regulations prescribe for
human drugs.

2) Practically all the testing that a drug goes through is provided by the
manufacturer or sponsor of the drug, and then submitted to the FDA for
approval.  Occasionally, the FDA labs will verify the proposed protocol of
analysis which would then be considered for adoption by the USP upon approval of
the drug.

Michel