Paul Silverman wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I thought I would write and introduce myself (after all, I would not want to
> be classified as a "lurker")

Welcome aboard "delurker".

> my name is Paul, I am forty-seven years old and have recently been diagnosed
> with Parkinson's disease.  In retrospect, I have had symptoms of the disease

I am also 47 and of recent diagnosis.  Have you checked out any Young Onset
Parkinson support groups?

 Do you have family? are there children that will have to grow up with
a Parkinsonian parent?

> for at least a decade.  Unfortunately, for most of that time I was treated
> for fibromyalgia, obviously unsuccessfully.  After living for years on
> ungodly doses of pain medication that barely relieved the pain, I received

What caused your pain?  Parkinsons obviously. But, in what way--just curious?

> the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.  In defense of the physicians who
> treated me, I believe that I suppressed the one symptom into that would have
> made the diagnosis easy, my tremors.  This was probably a function of my
> profession, dentistry.  Without realizing it I would tense up to prevent my
> hands from shaking.

I don't have much in the way of resting tremor, back rigidity that can hurt, and

stiffness in wrist.  Tensing up doesn't suppress my tremor, but, reaching and
grasping shows it well.  I don't know what this means, or everyone is a little
different.  I think I saw somewhere that  15%  don't have tremor--but, rigidity.

> I have obviously had to give up practicing dentistry.  Fortunately, my

I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been a turning point.
Was it before of after diagnosis?
Has this been difficult financially?

> response to medication has been relatively good.  I am presently taking 200
> mg of Amantadine and have found that the muscular rigidity is vastly
> improved.  Also, not being on enough narcotic medication to sedate a small
> village has improved my balance.
>
> I have found this forum and wonderful source of information and support.  I
> hope that I can contribute in some manner to repay my debt of gratitude.
> Should anyone wish to email me directly, I can be reached at
>
> Once again, thank you all for the information and support you provide.

I apologize for all the questions, but, some thing clicked about being 47.
Hopefully, the advantage of being young onset is we will live long
enough to experience the Cure.

NOT the Dr. Ray Strand of recent nutritional fame.
No relation.  He lives on the other side of the Abyss.

47/47 diagnosed/40 symptoms

                             Ray Strand
                 mailto:[log in to unmask]

...on the edge of the prairie abyss ......................

Windy tonight, in anticipation of storms