ARNE KARLSSON wrote:
> My problem is that protein in the food block the L-dopa uptake from
> the intestines  and I have many and deep OFF-periods during the day.

Levodopa absorption                                Oct 99
Arne, here are some things I do for the same problem:
- Try to take levodopa dose when stomach is empty, along
  with plenty of water to ensure it reaches small intestine
  ahead of food.
- Try to confine major protein components to last meal before
  bedtime, and wait a half hour or so for the stomach to
  empty (hopefully) before the evening medication.
- When you can't avoid taking levodopa just before or just
  after eating, don't swallow it immediately but let it
  dissolve partly in your mouth. There is some absorption
  through the mouth lining.
- (ask your doctor first): Levodopa that fails to be absorbed
  in the small intestine just passes through harmlessly.
  Therefore an extra dose occasionally when you're "off" should
  be helpful and not harmful.
- Research is underway for delivering levodopa other than by
  mouth: hypodermic injection; adhesive skin patch; attached
  pump with permanent tube to intestine (available now). None
  of these sounds very attractive to me, but perhaps when the
  PD gets bad enough I'll change my mind. Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road