Carole Hercun wrote:

> Hi Joe: But wouldn't the potential benefits of
> alternate delivery systems of levodopa be enormous?
> Other drugs are more efficient when delivered IM or
> IV, or by skin patch or intra nasally. They deliver
> chemotherapy directly to to the brain. Why not bypass
> the blood/brain barrier with levodopa? Enlighten me.

All the routes you mention depend on reaching the brain via the blood
(the "blood-brain barrier" is in the capillaries there). There is now
some research on delivering drugs to the brain via an implanted duct.
So far it has worked in monkeys but not in human subjects. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road