-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Charlotte Mancuso
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 5:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PARKINSON'S RESEARCH FUNDING IS IN JEOPARDY

To:  Mette Adams <[log in to unmask]>:

Why do you say it's in jeopardy; please explain.  Are you with PAN; how do
you know this.

Charlotte

ADVOCATE CALL TO ACTION

ATTENTION PD COMMUNITY - PARKINSON'S RESEARCH FUNDING IS IN JEOPARDY!!

             Immediate Action That You Can Take:

             Call Chairman Specter, Labor HHS Senate Appropriations
Subcommittee @
             202-224-4252

             Call Chairman Porter, Labor HHS House Appropriations
Subcommittee @
             202-225-4835

             AND

             Contact your own US Senators and Representatives.

             Here are some talking points to bring up in your conversations:

             · The battle to find a cure for Parkinson’s is winnable! But,
in order to do
             so Congress must commit the
             necessary resources.

             · Parkinson’s disease will only be eradicated if the level of
funding for
             research
             matches the scientific need.

             · The medical research community believes that Parkinson’s
disease can be
             cured in
             5 to 10 years.

             · Currently the investment in focused Parkinson’s research is
insufficient!
             It is insufficient
             when compared with other, more visible diseases, and when
compared with the
             potential for a cure. This is UNACCEPTABLE!

             · We need $75 million for focused Parkinson’s research in the
FY2000 budget.

              · Although the National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding for
FY2000 is
             likely to be increased,
             there is absolutely no mention of the $75 million dollars for
Parkinson's
             focused research.

             · At the September 28th Labor HHS Senate Appropriations
Subcommittee
             Hearing,
             Chairman Arlen Specter (R-PA) told Michael J. Fox, and the PD
Community,
             that Congress could include $75 million more for Parkinson’s
research
             if funding for the NIH increased by at least $1.3 billion. The
House Bill
             includes a $1.3 billion
             increase for the NIH, and the Senate Bill includes a $2 billion
increase for
             the NIH.
             The bills are currently in the process of moving through the
House and
             Senate.

             · Please be adamant in your request that the Labor HHS
Appropriations bill
             specifies an
             additional $75 million for Parkinson’s-focused research.

             · Remind everyone you speak with that the $75 million for
Parkinson’s
             research will help
             ensure the cure to this debilitating disease.

             For more information:

             Check the Parkinson’s Action Network Website at:

             www.parkinsonsaction.org

             OR

             call the Network at 800-850-4726 and ask for Kathy Hayes.
Charlotte Mancuso
For advocacy, medical, and other PD-related material, go to:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/CurePD-NorCal