On Thu 07 Oct, Chris van der Linden wrote:
> In Belgium and other parts of Europe we have a disperible form of levodopa
> (Madopar or Prolopa HBS). You dilute this in a little water and drink it;
> after about 15-30 minutes there is an immediate effect; it is very helpful
> in patients who frequently freeze and at night when the PD patient wakes up
> and cannot get out of bed to go to the restroom.
> It is NOT the same as diluting a regular Sinemet in water, the dispersible
> tablet  works faster and more powerful.
> Does a similar form of Sinemet exist in the USA?
>
> One other note, in Europe you can get both Sinemet and Madopar, in the USA
> only Sinemet, yet there are differences in response; so if one of my
> patients does not respond to Sinemet I can switch to Madopar and sometimes
> see a far better response. Can anybody tell me why Madopar is not available
> in the USA?  Do the two companies have some kind of an agreement (Roche vs
> Merck Sharp and Dohm)? As a patientgroup I would really pressure the
> companies to have Madopar released in the USA, because some patients can be
> helped!!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Chris

Hello Chris, I posted an article on Sinemet/Madopar - a summary of practical
advice which I have learned the hard way - 21 years with PD. In that I make
the same points that you raised (although I confess that although I tried
them back-to-back, I couldn't distinguish any difference in response. The
faster response on the journey from mouth to brain I certainly did notice,
and since then I have always used Madopar. I can confirm that Madopar is not
available in the USA, nor is there a soluble form of Sinemet. (I suspect
that it was a deal between the drug companies).

There is one other aspect which favours Madopar a little, and that is the
adverse effect of too much Carbidopa:- PWPs on high levels of Sinemet are
advised to use the Sinemet 10/100 formulation to keep their intake of
Carbidopa  within certain limits, e.g. between 75 and 300 mg/day.  It is not
critical, but can cause some unpleasant effects above 300mg. Madopar, with
Benserazide does not seem to have this problem.

Living with Levodopa  <http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/brian/>

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>