On 12 Oct 99 at 12:10, Barb_MSN wrote:

> Bob C...
>
> As I understand it, you get one or the other, and usually your
> SSDI payments are higher than your SS might be, per a recent phone
> discussion I recently had with a SSA rep.
>
> It should be noted, however, that out of any discussion one might
> have with anyone working for the SSA, that THEY will interpret the
> laws in a different way than any OTHER SSA employee (based upon my
> own personal experience), I.e. Sooooo... out of 5000 SSA
> employees, should you ask them each the same question, you'll get
> 5000 different answers - all, some, or none at all may correct or
> incorrect, and they reserve the right to CHANGE the validity of
> any question or answer you receive from that august agency at ANY
> time it suits them.
>
> That said, DO call the SSA and ask them what the law is TODAY
> pertaining to your question, and get the name of the individual
> you spoke with for future reference if needed.
>
> Barb Mallut

Hi Barb 'n Bob and everyone,

Here, in Canada, I believe you can draw disability ONLY prior to age
60; disability OR retirement OR a combination (one offsetting the
other so you don't collect both) age 60 to age 65; and retirement
ONLY after age 65.  This is in reference to the Canada Pension Plan.
As Barb says, the disability is generally higher than the retirement.
Only an actuary would be able to explain why, but I can speculate
that the reasoning is that seniors over 65 require less, whether this
is a fact or not.

You can check your SSD or SS retirement but I would imagine the
American Govt. would treat their citizens 'bout the same.

When it comes to private pension schemes there are a myriad of
individual plans and ya gotta read the fine print for sure.

At best they are intended to allow independence with some dignity.
Working people's pensions are generally at a subsistence level and
only if you have any savings or investments you may be lucky enough
to have a degree of real comfort.

Soooooo, don't count on gettin' rich anytime soon Bob.

All the best ................ murray