----- Original Message -----
From: Rhonda <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 12:33 PM

> Hi.  This is my first communication as a new member of this list or any
internet exchange.  I am 47 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's
about one year ago, after two years of uncertain diagnoses of multiple
sclerosis and primary lateral sclerosis.  I have no tremor, and the symptoms
of Parkinson's--muscle rigidity, balance problems, slow movement,
etc.--currently affect the left side of my body more than the right.

> I presently use Sinemet 25/100 five times daily in combination (within the
last few months) with 1 gram Mirapex three times daily.  I'm not yet sure
what effect, if any, the Mirapex provides, although the effect of the
Sinemet is certainly dramatic.  Unfortunately, I have developed "variable
response" syndrome with respect to the Sinemet.  My current physician, a
neurologist whose subspecialty is Parkinson's) tells me that it would have
been preferable not to have begun my treatment with Sinemet because of the
possibility of developing this very syndrome--hence the experiment with
Mirapex.  (The Sinemet was originally prescribed by my current doctor's
colleague, a well-respected neurologist whose subspecialty is multiple
sclerosis.)

> I am a lawyer whose focus is civil litigation.  In order to function
during the day, I find that I need to use the Sinemet at no less than 3.5
hour intervals, which means significantly less function at night.   I also
find that I need to rest for about 30 minutes before each dose of Sinemet,
which can be problematic.   All of this makes professional life difficult.
It is also a nuisance at home, where evenings are usually devoted to
activities with my husband.

> Any thoughts for a newcomer about managing what must be a familiar
scenario to most of you?  Sorry for the long initial message and thanks in
advance for your time.