The easiest way to become a volunteer in Parkinson's medical research is to
contact an American Parkinson Disease Association Information & referral
office [toll free 1-888-400-2732] to see what studies are being done or are
to be done in your area. The same sort of service may be obtained from the
National Parkinson Foundation and the Parkinson Disease Foundation. There
may be nothing going on that you will fit into now, but there will be "a
fit" sometime. Many research projects want people who are recently
diagnosed and have not started PD medications, or people who have
hallucinations, or people who have PD and relatives with PD, right-handed
red haired people of Bulgarian ancestry under 30 from eastern Arkansas
whose left side is primarily affected, etc. [The last one is totally
fictitious, but illustrates possible inclusion and exclusion parameters].

Researchers want subjects who are interested in what is being done, are
willing to work with the researchers, and are pretty good at noticing
changes.  Once you go through a research study and work well with the
researchers, you have a high probability of being asked to participate in
other projects by the research person you worked with before AND others who
are friends of that researcher.  The word gets around.

Also, read the APDA, NPF, and PDF newsletters. If you see a research
project just getting started and think you might fit, call the researcher.
One other thing, get your medical records together so you can answer the
myriad of questions you will be asked.

Will

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.