> Comparing the results of surgery on two of the three target areas, Benabid
has found that the main effect of GPI stimulation is to reduce and control
levodopa-induced dyskinesias.

> However, it reduces other PD symptoms only moderately: "In general, STN
stimulation improves all the signs and symptoms by more than 60%, while GPI
stimulation improves [them] by less than 60%," Benabid said.

As I have stated all along on my recent postings.

> "There is a whole new group of adverse effects that are related to the
equipment," he said, "including lead breaks, infections, and ulcerations of
the skin. And there is the need to replace the battery, which must be done
under general anesthesia."

Replacement of a battery can be done with LOCAL anesthesia.  Out of 90
patients I have never seen a lead break.  Three infections of the lead were
seen.  Two ulcerations of the skin.  So very minor complications.

> The main alternative to deep brain stimulation is pallidotomy, said
Lozano. This procedure has similar efficacy, he said, but involves creating
an irreversible lesion in the brain and is too "risky" to do bilaterally.

May be similar efficacy but not long-lasting for several symptoms.

Greetings,

Chris