I am going to share with you all our on-going saga.

This past January, I shared with you the story re: Ben's planned retirement
on Oct. 1st, and how at the Annual Meeting of the church, we were told that
the call committee had already found a pastor & he would want to move in
before school started in August.  The church was more than willing to
continue to pay Ben's salary + a housing allowance until Oct. 1st.

Now to continue...We spent several months trying to find a home that we
could afford on Ben's pension.  We scraped the idea of me going back to work
since it was just going to be a matter of time before Ben would need me to
be at home to help.  Finally we find a small 3 BR, 1B home (1BR is an
office) and we are to sign the papers the end of July.  By that time they
have finally received a letter from this "new" pastor that he has no
intention of coming...so now they want us to stay in the parsonage.  Too
bad... We move the 1st week in August, with the help of the church.  At the
end of August is the next blow...Ben's ex-wife wants her part of his
pension.  At the time of the divorce, she told him the pension was his & she
didn't want it.  Therefore it was not mentioned in the divorce decree. (Ben,
who trusts anyone until they prove him wrong, didn't think he need an
attorney to represent him at the time of the divorce.)  There is the bit
about who gets what & then a paragraph stating something to the order
of....that the court doesn't find any other community property & if there is
anything else it's belongs to the person who owns it.  The pension was not
mentioned because she didn't want it.   And now she does...and I can even
understand why....she married a man 6 mos. after the divorce 17 years ago,
who has worked probably in the last 15 of those years.  Ben's grown children
say it's because he's "too good for the jobs he's offered."  She helped put
Ben through school...I can understand that.  What we don't understand is why
now after we've  gotten a GI loan & bought the house that we will soon have
to put back on the market.  If we had only known about this in the first 6
mos. of this year  we would have done things differently....what, I don't
know, but at least we wouldn't have bought the house.

There is no statue of limitations in Texas re: pensions.  She's entitled to
it at anytime.  So now we are up a creek with out a paddle.  We have an
attorney here & are in the process of retaining an attorney in the Valley
where the divorce took place.  But we won't know until Oct. 25th if she will
represent us.  I will say, she's darn good & if we have any chance at all,
she'll find it.  She is one attorney that every male attorney HATES to do up
against....she knows her stuff, fights clean, is honest as the day is long,
& won't let anything get by her. We have also been told by our attorney here
that the case will not be settled there, that it will be appealed and
settled in Corpus Christi.

Ben can work until he's 70 1/2 before he has to retire, so he's gone back to
work full time...he has to, his pension is frozen until the case is settled.
At least we're OK for now.  But now to the pension....When Ben took the call
to this church, he took a $5000 a year cut in salary because we both felt
that this was where were suppose to be.  When we thought Ben was to retire
on Oct. 1st, we know that our pension was only going to be about 1/2  of his
present salary and we planned accordingly.  Everything was budgeted down to
the last penny...we could just make it if we really worked at it.  Now all
that is up for grabs.  If she wins the case she will easily get at least 1/4
of the pension ( her half of the pension at the time of the divorce plus
interest ).

Ben has handled this pretty well, considering.  The stress is horrid and the
not knowing is the worst of all.  Ben's decline has been very slow until
now.  I bet I have watched him decline more in these last weeks than the 5
years prior.  And I guess one other thing that has been a real problem is
the fact that we considered Doris and James to be friends.  This just plain
hurt Ben.

I'm sorry that this is so long, but once I started it just all came out.
Thanks for listening.
Linda