With all due respect to the other views I have to say the words of Voltaire ( french philosopher) : " I am friend of the King but I am more friend of the true ..."  :
---------

The great mistake the Cardinal does is taking embryos as factual  human beings . They are indeed only the junction of a spermatozoids) and one ovule . They are not human beings at all , or all will turn in one . Myriad unpredictable phantastic  things does have to happen before in nature in order to be possible to turn a embryo in a human being alive  ...

The Cardinal and followers argue that as long the embryos have the POSSIBILITY of became a human being then it must be preserved to that end ....then following this line of reasoning we should also preserve ALL the spermatozoids and ovules produced by men and women in the world as long these live cells have also the same POSSIBILITY (mostly nowadays with the progress of external fertilization in test tubes) .......

--
Cheers ,

   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+