This subject has been discussed before, but when I perused the PD archives I
couldn't find the exact information we're seeking so I thought I'd ask the
list.

My husband, Jamie, has been struggling to maintain his job as a chemist over
this past year, but it has now become clear to us that he can no longer
perform even on a minimal level.  He has had great difficulty seeing
(despite new glasses, a visit to a neuro-opthamologist, and enlarged font on
his computer) and lately has had difficulty comprehending what he reads.
So....it's time to leave his job.  Our question is the following:

    He's 60 years old and has a minimal pension.  What is the benefit of him
retiring vs. taking a disability leave.

    If he leaves on disability, is it possible to make it limited - that is,
can he formally retire when he turns 65, or is the disability leave forever?

    Jamie's doctors have been anxious for him to leave his job because he
has hypertension in addition to PD which has made regulating his meds
difficult.  The first time we saw our new neurologist 2 years ago he told
Jamie to retire - my husband refused because he enjoyed his job.

    Any advice anyone can give will be most appreciated.
-----
God bless
Mary Ann