Mary Ann, all depends on your husband's plan.  I can tell you how it
worked for us.  Michel was a college prof and his most disabling symptom
was speech.  When he was 53 his dept chair told him that he really
needed to go on disability because his students could not understand
him, and had to go to his colleagues to try to find out what he had said
in class.

We have TIAA retirement and long term disability.  The College helped
Michel file for disability, which provided 60% of his salary at the
time, (with annual cost of living increments) and kept up contributions
to his TIAA retirement plan.  This 60% was to be reduced by whatever
social security disability would pay if SS was approved (it was, the
first time).  So for many years Michel received payments from both TIAA
and Social Security.

He passed away a year ago, at age 61.  Had he lived to age 65, the
disability payments would have stopped, and retirement benefits would
have started, both Social Security retirement benefits and his TIAA
plan. Social Security benefits would of course have been calculated on
his contributions, which would have been low because he hadn't been
contributing while on disability.  The TIAA plan would have been closer
to what he would have had had he continued working, since TIAA
disability made payments to TIAA retirement.

You of course have Social Security to ask about.  Do you have some
equivalent of the TIAA plan?  I guess no two plans are alike.

I wish you well as you work through this.  In our case, everyone was
very helpful, the College, the TIAA people, and the Social Security
people, but it was very hard for Michel to admit that he could not
continue working.

Teresa Marcy