Kathrynne Holden, MS,RD wrote:

> Brian, some U.S. cola drinks are fairly acidic, despite the sugar --
> vinegar has a pH of 3.1 - 3.2, while the average cola has a pH of 2.4,
> 7-UP 3.0, and club soda 3.7.
>
> I've heard, but not been able to substantiate, that carbonated beverages
> hasten the action of Sinemet; no pharmacist I've talked to can explain
> or back that up, however.

If I remember some old chemistry, there is an optimum pH where the two
functional groups,  -COOH (acid) and -NH2 (amine) are in equilibrium, perhaps a
zwitter ion.  Thus if you alter the acidity one way or the other, you will
favor one group, then the other.  This will also affect the solubility, hence
the partitioning  of the drug.
I hope this was confusing enough to put you to sleep.
Note that this is far less funny than my daily jokes.
Michel